Article 1. ENCRYPTION EUROPE
Article 2. PURPOSE
Our purpose is to represent the interests of European SMEs, which offer products, solutions and services in the field of encryption, encrypted services and related technologies.
Specifically, we have three objectives:
- ENCRYTION BY DEFAULT: Encryption is too often an option chosen by advanced users who want to protect their privacy or their business. Everyone should protect themselves and encryption should be provided by default in tools and apps.
- RESPONSIBLE PRACTICES: The alliance engages in a dialogue with authorities confronted with the need of decrypting communications and devices, so that encryption is not perceived as a threat to but as an element of security.
- CONTRIBUTE TO UNIFY EUROPE: Encryption Europe contributes to a more united and safer Europe, by developing a common vision on the value and the pragmatic benefit of encryption.
Article 3. BENEFITS
EE benefits are fourfold:
- GATHER: Bring together the encryption sector, provide a place where members can join forces to exchange information, best practices and build new business opportunities, in the respect of competition rules.
- PROMOTE: Enable business development among its members, by helping them to connect with potential technology partners and build the reputation of this new industry sector
- STAY AHEAD: Know the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead of the sector, may it be innovation, security, regulation etc.
- ENGAGE: Provide outreach opportunities to its members in EU circles, for direct (meet potential customers or influencers) or indirect sales purposes (policy, reputation and educational purposes)
Article 4. PRINCIPLES
In our work and in our interaction with our partners and all the stakeholders of a safer society, we are guided by four principles: - ZERO BACKDOOR: The members of the alliance have a zero backdoor policy and they support the work of regulators against any possible weakening of encryption.
- OBJECTIVITY: Members of the alliance are committed to developing the use of encryption technologies, but they do understand that the implementation of their technologies can have consequences on the work of law enforcement, and therefore their adoption requires to engage with other stake-holders in this area and provide them with the relevant information that they need to do their work effectively.
- SIMPLICITY: Encryption is a complex technique and non-technical decision makers can be easily lost when they try to understand how to best protect their assets and their privacy with encryption. It is therefore of utmost importance that the members of the alliance are committed to simplicity when they explain their solutions to third parties.
- COMMUNITY SPIRIT: The members of Encryption Europe believe that they are stronger together than alone. Stronger to build the reputation of their industry. More credible to develop trust with other stakeholders. More effective to share information, but also listen and learn, so the technologies they develop are used to make a positive impact on our societies.
Article 5. MANAGEMENT
The secretariat and accounting of EE shall be carried out by SECURITY MADE IN LËTZEBUERG (SMILE).
The coordinator of EE is Jean-Christophe Le Toquin.
The activities to achieve the objectives of EE include the following, in particular:
- Facilitating exchanges between members, i.e. mailing list, monthly reports, etc.;
- Providing members with communication services;
- Providing services in the common interest of the Members of EE;
- Promoting and defending members’ interests on relevant EU regulation matters;
- Legislative and technical monitoring of European and international initiatives impacting the digital sector;
Article 6. MEMBERS
The members of EE are the signatories who have signed a contract, accompanied with this document, indicating their support with this Formation Agreement and which are in line with EE’s objectives:
- SMEs (up to 250 employees and 50M€ annual turnover);
- Agile and innovative;
- Based in the EU;
- Represented actively by their CEO, CTO or business developer;
- Provide products and solutions (including services) in the field of encryption, encrypted services and related technologies, and
- Whose solutions are sold or can be sold globally (or at least internationally).
Any admission of new members must be agreed to by a general consensus, explicit or implied, from the existing membership body.
Members may withdraw from EE at any stage they choose. Membership fees cannot be refunded.
Article 7. MEMBERSHIP FEES
Please contact us for more information : firstname.lastname@example.org